[Tagging] General tagging system problems (was: shop=confectionery / pastry / candy / sweets)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed May 13 16:24:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:46 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> I'm not convinced that such a generic approach will help to get
> unambiguous tagging, e.g.
> children + education + building (= school building)  -> architectural
> school? language school? ...
> vehicle + education (= driving school) -> self learning autonomous
> vehicles? school bus? a bus that offers educational services? ...
> area + tree (= forest/wood) -> a big tree? an area foreseen for trees? an
> orchard? ...
> building + sleep (= hotel/hostel/...) -> a motel? a dormitory? a matress
> factory? ...

+1 well illustrated

The hierarchy approach sidesteps some of that

building
what type of building?
school
what type of school?
elementary?
what type of elementary school?
Montessori
what type of Montessori elementary school?
eastern chapter

service
what type of service?
vehicle services
what type of vehicle service?
education
what type of vehicle service education?
driving school

But I think it better to go the other way.  Start with the "duck":

driving_school

Then have a registry somewhere that puts that into context:

driving school  =  place where a member of the public can sign up to learn
vehicle operation

types of driving school:

* private vehicle

* taxi/commercial/paying passenger

* heavy goods vehicle

* specialty vehicle

    * forklift/equipment

           driving school  + private_vehicle + fee =   things open to the
general public, services, things you book in advance
           driving school  +  heavy goods vehicle+ fee =   services,
specialty services

Which other than the categories, pretty much is the wiki of today.