[Tagging] Maxspeed

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri May 15 21:13:39 UTC 2015

I have seen some tight intersections, with buildings directly adjoining the roadway at all four corners, where a "maxlength" tag would also be useful. A passenger car or a delivery truck would be able to turn the corner, but a tractor-trailer rig (heavy goods vehicle) or bus would get wedged in place.

On May 13, 2015 6:15:22 AM CDT, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
> >  Don't agree with this... there have been discussions in the past
> about
> > whether the "width" of a "way" includes the pavements etc... Where a
> road
> > goes under a bridge, where do you measure the "height" of the road?
> The
> > highest point (not good enough for vehicles) or the "lowest highest
> point"
> > or "in the middle of the road"? I would expect maxheight:physical to
> apply
> > to a "normal vehicle", of maybe 2.5m width.
> >
> There are cases where maxheight:physical and maxwidth:physical may be
> different from the legal definitions and significantly affect the
> viability.  A standout problem regularly occurs in Oregon where you
> can
> have human powered vehicles up to about 3 feet wide legally, but many
> cycleways, particularly older ones built before the 1990s, have
> barriers
> that make all but the 10-speeds with drop bars impractical as
> negotiating
> the barriers that keep motorists out also prevent longer or wider
> bicycles
> from fitting.  Similar issues exist on Oklahoma turnpikes, which
> commonly
> allow vehicles up to 11'6" wide, but the typical cash toll booth is
> only
> capable of fitting a 9'5" wide vehicle.  Go figure.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com (615) 299-6451
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.