[Tagging] Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun May 17 14:19:02 UTC 2015

Just exactly how can a data consumer be “abstracted from our tags”? Where in a typical rendering process could this abstraction be placed where it would be automatic and transparent to the people maintaining the data consumers?

For example, I generate PDF/paper trail maps for an organization using OSM. My scripts download the extract from geofabrik that includes our area of interest and makes the maps from that. Unless geofabrik translates (abstracts) the tags, an unlikely and undesirable thing for them to do, then I will need to make changes in my scripts to handle any changes in tagging that my organization cares about. Maybe it would be in the stage where we load a database with object information, maybe it would be in the rendering stage or maybe in both areas. But I will have to make changes to get my map generation working again. I strongly suspect that many other data consumer maintainers would have the same issue.

—Tod