[Tagging] Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon May 18 13:49:04 UTC 2015

W dniu 18.05.2015 11:18, David Earl napisał(a):
> On Mon, 18 May 2015 at 00:40 pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately change is inevitable and it happens to Microsoft and
>> Google customers.
>
> Yes, of course. But they go to considerable lengths to provide upward
> compatibility, and when they can't, they provide a migration path and
> controlled change. But in any case this is just a gratuitous change
> with heavy costs for all the software. If you have an API, and this is
> part of one, then changing it randomly under people's feet so it
> breaks their products is a sure fire way of driving all but the most
> dedicated and masochistic customers away.

I don't remember anybody talking about "randomly" changing anything!
Quite the reverse - we try to make system more consistent and clear. I,
for one, care a lot for as smooth transition as possible.

If we make the change like:

amenity=pub -> pub=yes
shop=travel_agent -> travel_agent=yes
office=travel_agent -> travel_agent=yes

you can still make the translation for legacy services out there:

pub=yes -> amenity=pub
travel_agent=yes -> shop=travel_agent (or office=travel_agent)

Note that while the second case is not a 1:1 mapping, the whole point of
transition was exactly dropping the information we can't be sure. More
radical way is to just choose preferable legacy category, but we can
make it less radical simply preserving some of the old cruft:

shop=travel_agent -> travel_agent=shop
office=travel_agent -> travel_agent=office

It would still be a clear improvement, because from now on we would tag
only travel_agent=yes, so at least new contributions are free of legacy
bloat.

down" [A. Cohen]