[Tagging] Long Tail ( was Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue May 19 00:28:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> Let's use human power, not spam power.
>
> How about if first edits caused some sort of flag that experienced users
> see, and can welcome and thank the new user
> for registering and contributing.  This is possible now, but not really
> part of the standard tool set and definitely not part of the culture.

I try to watch an area from the Northern Western Washington border with BC
down to the southern part of greater Seattle. I send a message to all new
users captured by the IRC bot. I'm sure I miss a bunch as I scan the IRC
logs for new users. I invite each user to join our Meetup Group and invite
them to contact me if they have any questions. The response rate is low. A
survey could help us identify why they joined, how they want to use OSM and
what special interests they have any their desired way of contributing.

Any automated email system must certainly have a means for the user to opt
out. I don't think sending two or three automated emails is that obtrusive.
I think that they already get one automated email, the confirmation that
they successfully signed up. We could include a survey link in that
message. Not a long survey, just a few questions. Atomizing the data will
insure that their answers are anonymous.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us