[Tagging] Tagging FOR the renderer

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:36:53 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-16 20:31, Marc Gemis wrote :

> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM, André Pirard
> <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com <mailto:A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2015-05-16 01:40, Frederik Ramm wrote :
>>     Thing is, there is no "THE" map. There's tons of maps in various colour
>>     schemes and designs, as well as tons of non-map uses of our data, and
>>     this is one of the super strenghts of OSM - we record that there's a
>>     motorway, and the map maker can define how they want the motorway drawn.
>     Yes, there is "THE" ("main") map at OSM.org
>

> That is just because you are not German or French, otherwise you might
> refer to openstreetmap.de <http://openstreetmap.de> or
> openstreetmap.fr <http://openstreetmap.fr>. IMHO those sites represent
> OSM much better. They actually show that there are alternatives to the
> map you see on osm.org <http://osm.org> or on their sites.
>
> IMHO, it's not wise to talk about THE map, especially if you know
> better ( and I know you know better)
I wasn't speaking of "how", the style in which, the map is drawn, but
what tags are mapped, that is the reason why they are tagging for the
renderer, using tweaked tags.
Strange for the French because the whole map of  openstreetmap.fr
<http://openstreetmap.fr>  is osm.org itself.
The map of openstreetmap.de <http://openstreetmap.de>  fetches its
mapnik tiles from openstreetmap.org, its transport tiles from
memomaps.de, its cycle tiles from opencyclemap.org and OSM deutscher
Stil is from openstreetmap.de.
openstreetmap.de does not provide the tools of osm.org.  In particular,
one must use the osm.org tool to make a link to the map and hence
there's very little chance that Mr Everybody's link used the
openstreetmap.de server.
I have tried to see if, the subject of this thread, OSM deutscher Stil
would render features that osm.org does not, but, alas, openstreetmap.de
does not support the openstreetmap.de/way/... nor #map= URL syntaxes,
and it doesn't show the tags of the objects in the left pane.  So, it's
very difficult to use it for that comparison.  In fact, I wonder if it's
not the reason why I seem to be not well understood when I speak of
things like displaying boundary data in the left pane.  But I don't
think it displays more features than osm.org.

Cheers

André.