[Tagging] Long Tail ( was Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging)

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:39:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This talk by Richard Fairhurst suggests that 5% of mappers do 95% of work.
>> So it's more important to find those few dedicated mappers and make their
>> life easier, than to cater to the 95%.
>

> I find the proposition that we find ways to engage the 95% more compelling.
> The 5% have already figured out the system.

Figuring out "the system" is not the entirety of the issue. This was
the crux of a talk I proposed for a SOTM US a few years ago that was
rejected- how we can more use our limited resources to get a better
result in the map by focusing on (or growing) the top mappers, rather
than on one off casual mappers.

Sadly the politics of this view was just too radical for the talk to
be accepted (as I was told later).

- Serge