[Tagging] Long Tail ( was Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue May 19 08:27:53 UTC 2015

johnw wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the differences between novices like me and more
> power users is a) using JSOM or similar, and b) using relations.  that
> is an insanely high bar to jump over.

I'll let you into another secret.

Of the 5% of mappers doing 95% of the work... most are not doing anything
particularly powerful.

Only four types of relations are actually consumed worldwide to any
significant extent: multipolygons, routes, turn restrictions, and
boundaries. iD and P2 provide dedicated UI for the first three to hide the
complexities. (Boundaries are hard.) Sure, there are a thousand other
relation uses documented on the wiki, but they're pretty much a distraction.
No-one consumes them.[1]

Imports/bulk edits aside, the busy mappers are pretty much doing the same
mapping as you. Nothing complex, nothing powerful. They're just doing more
of it.

So you can use iD, P2, JOSM, whatever you find comfortable and efficient. No
bar-jumping required.

(That's not to say that we can't do better at catering for the 95%, because
we can. But that's a whole other question and one which potentially requires
new types of editing software. More on that in my SOTM-US talk!)

cheers
Richard

[1] For the completists, two more which _are_ consumed, though just a
little: public transport site relations, and that weird old associatedStreet
thing (which you can tell is broken just by the intercap).