[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat May 23 05:57:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the great suggestions.  I'm typing on an iPhone so will respond
> fully after I reach my final destination.
>
> amenity=charging_station with subtags for clarification seems to fill the
> bill.

I think that's a choice with high long term costs to rendering and
processing engines.

What will happen is that you're asking rendering and processing software to
keep up with a blizzard of subtags.
"charging_station" presently is understood to mean a vehicle charging
station,
not a generic charging station.  Suddenly icons designed for vehicle
charging will start appearing inside airports.

Similarly:

power_supply=cee_17_red
power_supply=cee_7_4
power_supply=usb

forces rendering to understand a long series of values.  For an AC wall
plug that means understanding
that  nema_5_15 sev_1011 and cei_23_16 are all types of AC wall plugs, but
that USB is something different.
It's asking too much from the maintainers of rendering software.

If you're mapping a duck, call it a duck....  not a
creature=thing_with_feathers legs=2 quacking=yes.