[Tagging] Wiki: Key:level: proposed rewrite

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon May 25 12:55:31 UTC 2015

On 25/05/2015, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> wrote:
> I oppose. Numeric level values can be used to display a building plan
> layer by layer where higher floors lay over lower floors. Most software
> which uses level=* at the moment expects that it is a numeric value.
>
> Example: https://youtu.be/qcB5CP-IkLg?t=17m12s
>
> If a building has named levels, you can still use numbers at OSM. (It's
> like our usage of layer=*)

+1. There are two distinct needs : enabling software to sort levels
for rendering and navigation  purposes, and the need to show the
textual name that humans expect. The "level=*" key is currently used
for the fist case (otherwise you'd see a lot more text values in
taginfo).

> If you want that data users get the floor names, why don't you add a
> level:name=* tag, e.g.

Looked tempting at first, but I'm not sure I'm a fan:
 * It's brand new and never used before.
 * level=* tags are currently typically added to POIs inside the
buldings. Keeping level:name in sync on all those nodes seems like an
awful lot of tedious error-prone work.
 * We should be able to have an osm object representing the level
itself, and tag that with a standard name=*.

I won't pretend to be up to date with the various schemas for indoor
mapping, but the "type=site site=level" relation seems quite
idiomatic, and can be named as usual.