[Tagging] Deprecating wikipedia Tag

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Mon May 25 14:08:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

* Thorsten Alge <lists at thorsten-alge.de> [150525 15:24]:
> Having the wikidata-tag enables an application to select the
> wikipedia-article in the language of the users choice or to easily load
> additional information from wikidata like a cities crest for displaying.
> The advantage would be that a user wouldn't get the German article
> because its a German object but the article in his preferred language.

well, due to Wikipedias interlanguage links, that's equally possible
with Wikipedia links. That's why our Wiki suggests to add only one
language version of the Wikipedia link and not multiple links.
As far as I can see Wikipedia articles usually link to the corresponding
Wikidata entry, so any application could get the same information
regardless of us providing a Wikipedia or a Wikidata link in the
OSM database.

Wolfgang