[Tagging] Deprecating wikipedia Tag

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue May 26 10:11:43 UTC 2015

On 26 May 2015 at 10:36, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 26.05.2015 um 11:11 schrieb Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>:
>
>>> a hotel that includes a restaurant. OSM uses
>>> two objects from the begining, both linked to the single wikidata
>>> article that talks about the hotel as a whole.
>>
>> OSM should only link the hotel item to the Wikipedia article.

For the same reason you wouldn't link to the Wikidata item from the
OSM object for an elevator or the hotel's swimming pool.

> My main concern with wikidata for the moment: it's mostly as fuzzy as Wikipedia is - because the objects are not created
> by humans but conversions of articles.

So? And in any case, your claim is false; Wikdiata tems are created
both by bots and by humans.

If you feel there is an issue, please provide concrete examples of
real problem items, rather than making vague assertions with no
evidence.

> Using only wikidata would mean we are sure that wikidata will be a success.

It is.