[Tagging] housenumber on node and area

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:34:37 UTC 2015

On 27 May 2015 at 10:48, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > why?
>>
>> Otherwise they make bad routing targets
>
> Maybe for ideal routing, an address is sometimes not sufficient? What if
> your satnav asked you after you entered the address: do you want to
> a) get to the main entrance
> b) get to the petrol station at this address?
> c) choose another target from a selection at this address?
> or something like this.

Ideally the routing application shouldn't need to ask for
clarification once a human asked for a route to a specific address.

Now that might not be possible for a number of reasons, e.g.

- Ground truth is such that an address actually isn't unique
- Incomplete data in the database, exact match was not found
- Ambiguous data in the database, same address is distributed over
multiple objects in the database

Personally I consider the last case to be bad mapping practice.

/Markus