[Tagging] housenumber on node and area

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu May 28 10:12:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-28 11:13, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> Addresses are just labels, with (in the general case) an N:M relation with "areas". Addresses are not used to identify buildings, as that would imply that all buildings (even sheds and garages) would need their own address.
>
> actually in Italy garages sometimes get their own addresses if they have a separate gate. A gate can also have it's own housenumber without leading to anything, like here:
> https://www.google.it/maps/@41.83254,12.477383,3a,75y,283h,85.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seGMH98B7GPT129x3i2PgaQ!2e0!6m1!1e1 [1]
> this is number 6, leading to the garden of the house of which all actual housenumbers are 8 and the entrance is here:
> https://www.google.it/maps/@41.832353,12.477295,3a,75y,300.31h,96.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQZDm_XBQAUDVxW8KkF2YGg!2e0!6m1!1e1 [2]

You used the magic word "sometimes". Same in NL, if they are
discontiguous with the rest of the property. But only sometimes, not
always. I have never seen a garage/shed in the UK with an independent
address.

>> In multi-occupancy buildings (apartments, shared offices etc) each separately registered unit needs its own address (in order to ensure post etc is directed to the right party);
>> no, you can have all post boxes at one spot and people will go there to retrieve their mail. No need for distinct addresses (because typically you will also write a name, not just an address).

Again, that is possible in some cases. The postal service (and other
deliverers such as bailiffs) needs to be able to guarantee that it got
to the addressee, or at least the addressee's property. Hence the need
for a unique address for each unit. In NL every unit must have its own
letter box.

If you have a block of flats with 2000 people apparently living at the
same address, I can't imagine that a single, shared letter box will be
enough. Each apartment will have its own address.

Or are you talking about where each apartment has its own private letter
box in the entrance hall? Which would bring us back to "what's an
address?" Is it for delivering letters, or is it about the property
itself?

Maybe we should have a N:M between address and "property unit", with
"mail delivery location" as an optional element to the address? If the
address is a node, it needs to be related to the "property unit"
somehow. 2-d geometry is not enough for this if the node is located
outside the property unit, or if the address refers to multiple property
units. If it is located at the mail delivery location, then it may not
be useful for navigation purposes unless you can derive the property
unit location (and/or its entrance(s)) from the address node.

> It can also be different (several addresses), but it really depends on the local situation. Or maybe you are referring to the UK only?
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Links:
------