[Tagging] Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Fri May 29 10:32:19 UTC 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 03:27, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> > On May 29, 2015, at 11:02 AM, pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > And that ties in nicely with my thoughts of removing the words and
> generating tags and values by symbols !
>
> Mapping by emoji! Just put a hot dog symbol in the hot-dog stand!
>
> ^_^

Absolutely, yay :))

> For getting data into the database from novice mappers - that might not be
> a bad idea - however the text description that would invariably be needed
> to explain the icons would lead to the same thing.

SCREAM - the whole point is to get rid of language-dependent text !!!

So we have a house shape for houses - and if that just happens to look like
an igloo, then probably it is ! Oh what fun :) - so for teepees, they'd be
the same icon as a camp_site but in building colour rather than 'blue'.

> And as long as there are very rigid definitions in the tags - then the
> icons won't fit the ground truth except in the countries of the people who
> created the tags.
>
> Which is true currently - as I find examples that are completely
> untaggable in the current system because of the insistence on a single or
> primary tag.
>
> Case in point:
>
> Video rental shops in Japan also rent music CDs and video games (and
> sometimes books/manga too). They also are a bookstore. And stationary and
> collectables shop.
>
> This "media, goods, and rental" shop (as they say on the outside) is a
> very common store type - there are many *chains* that offer this
> combination, equating to several thousand stores - but currently there is
> absolutely no tagging value to convey this properly. It is not primarily a
> rental shop with a few magazines, nor a stationary shop with a few books or
> DVDs. It is its own beast.

We have a bakery - one wall has shelves containing general food items -
canned veg, milk etc. but so limited as to not be convenience stores. Icon
just needs the option of additional + sign - to indicate they offer other
stuff on top of primary sales.

> Tsutaya, Geo, FamilyBook, and others are all big chains that do this.
>
> It is simply not a combination that is common in other parts of the world
> (AFAIK).
>
> And without some more hierarchy to handle new and multiple values, it will
> be impossible to tag, even with emoji.

Any rule to limit to just one icon ?

vehicle filling stations: black pump, green pump, red pump, gas tank.
coiled air hose, water tap. Default filling station icon - hover over it
and all the others appear ?
--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>