[Tagging] man_made=works

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat May 30 01:01:39 UTC 2015

On 30/05/2015 9:40 AM, pmailkeey . wrote:

> On 29 May 2015 at 13:06, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl
> <mailto:daniel at ko%C4%87.pl>> wrote:
>
>     W dniu 29.05.2015 13:47, pmailkeey . napisał(a):
>
>         On 29 May 2015 at 12:42, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl
>         <mailto:daniel at ko%C4%87.pl>> wrote:
>
>             W dniu 29.05.2015 13:34, John Willis napisał(a):
>
>                 I know there is a way to tag what the building as to
>                 what it was
>                 initially used for - but i don't think that is the
>                 proper way
>                 (afaik).
>

>             So what do you think about building=church +
>             amenity=museum then?
>
>             I think we need some clear, general rules. Current system is
>             horrible in this matter, but I'd like it to be at least a bit
>             coherent.
>

>         building=museum.
>
>         A museum is no more an amenity than a house is.
>

>     So why do we use building=church + amenity=place_of_worship?
>
>     If we tag the building with its function (and not the shape), we
>     already know that this is a place of worship.
>

> A 'church' should be building=place_of_worship - the building where
> the church congregates - if you want to be accurate about it. Quite a
> few churches meet in other buildings built for other purposes.

But not all 'place_of_worship' are buildings.

A church has a particular style, as does a mosque. Both are
'place_of_worship' but the buildings are different.

If  museums are not an amenity but building? Are all mappable 'museums'
buildings?  I don't know.

To me the confusion arises out of mapping what is on the ground (e.g.
buildings) compared to the function (e.g. 'place_of_worship').

Perhaps that should be identified on the wiki .. with a similar
prominence as the 'status' property?

man_made=works .. makes no sense as a tag as I don't know what to expect
on the ground nor as a function.  ... building=industrial is much better.