[Tagging] man_made=works

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Sat May 30 22:18:38 UTC 2015

On 30 May 2015 at 02:01, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 30/05/2015 9:40 AM, pmailkeey . wrote:
>

> On 29 May 2015 at 13:06, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:
>
>> W dniu 29.05.2015 13:47, pmailkeey . napisał(a):

>>> building=museum.
>>>
>>> A museum is no more an amenity than a house is.
>>>

>> So why do we use building=church + amenity=place_of_worship?
>>
>> If we tag the building with its function (and not the shape), we already
>> know that this is a place of worship.
>>

>  A 'church' should be building=place_of_worship - the building where the
> church congregates - if you want to be accurate about it. Quite a few
> churches meet in other buildings built for other purposes.
>

> But not all 'place_of_worship' are buildings.

Not an issue.

> A church has a particular style, as does a mosque. Both are
> 'place_of_worship' but the buildings are different.

Use of appropriate subtags - as is done ?

> If  museums are not an amenity but building? Are all mappable 'museums'
> buildings?  I don't know.

building=museum
attraction=museum (can be used for indoor or outdoor museums.)

> -----------------------------
> To me the confusion arises out of mapping what is on the ground (e.g.
> buildings) compared to the function (e.g. 'place_of_worship').

Mapping is doing both. Shows there's a building and identifies its
function. building=museum does both and is an good example of efficient
tagging. (as opposed to building=yes + museum=yes) but building=museum +
museum=industrial is less efficient but more informative.

> Perhaps that should be identified on the wiki .. with a similar prominence
> as the 'status' property?

> man_made=works .. makes no sense as a tag as I don't know what to expect
> on the ground nor as a function.  ... building=industrial is much better.

Agreed. We're in a 'nightmare' of trying to create flexible tags and
precision. OSM is a nightmare^5 it's difficult to see that issues are
resolvable other than by unacceptable compromise.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>