[Tagging] How to tag a "overhead electronic display" ?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 04:48:19 UTC 2015

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> rather rare objects.

These signs are very very common in Japan. they are usually on the tollway for every 10 minutes of driving.  They're constantly updated with either accident, weather, or road conditions.

https://goo.gl/maps/bK5LQSboMkT2 <https://goo.gl/maps/bK5LQSboMkT2>

This one is currently warning of traffic ahead.

Here is a picture we can use for the wiki (if you want). I’ll upload it to the wiki if it is desired.
This is a common warning sign in front of many longer tunnels, and is changed to show tunnel specific or very local weather conditions, in this case, snow (ユキ yuki ).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091273426/in/album-72157638113676925/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091273426/in/album-72157638113676925/>

double tunnel view, similar sign - though not as clear
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091391693/in/album-72157638113676925/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091391693/in/album-72157638113676925/>

There are other “static” signs that display variable information, though it is not a matrix sign. This is one built to show traffic backups on the very narrow and crowded downtown network in Tokyo.
https://goo.gl/maps/ce7EqEqvQFB2 <https://goo.gl/maps/ce7EqEqvQFB2>

~

There are also several of the older matrix signs in San Diego showing Amber Alert information, road delays, and other text (they are black & white, not like the 3 color ones in Japan).

So for a person who drives a lot, these signs are not rare, but fairly common to see every day.

Javbw