[Tagging] Decorative flower fields? (not as a crop?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:22:25 UTC 2015

> But John said "The blue flowers in the google street view above will be
> removed and other flowers planted to grow for the next season. "
>

> So it is 'man made'.

actually there is a tag that might be suitable for similar features:
man_made=flower_bed
There are not so many instances so far:
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/man_made=flower_bed

In the case of very big / standalone installations  I'd also tend to
leisure=garden, while there could still be some individual flower beds
tagged within.

> I too would tag leisure=garden .. if you want you could add sub tags ...
> garden=decorative_flowers?

there are the documented subtags
garden:style
and
garden:type
for subtagging gardens.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Garden_specification

For more specific descriptions, there are also the tags species / taxon and
maybe landcover.

> As for the attractive feature ... tag  tourism=attraction ?

this is kind of a qualifier (IMHO it says that a feature is more important
than what you might know by looking at the other tags), but it doesn't
characterize or describe the object.

Cheers,
Martin