[Tagging] traffic_sign:forward=*

GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:43:42 UTC 2015

dieterdreist wrote
>> Also funny:
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/traffic_sign%3Aforward#values
>> shows 1050 entries for the tag traffic_sign:forward=*
>> (yes, "*" as value)
>>
>> My understanding so far is that I should see e.g. these tags on a node
>> which is part of a highway:
>> traffic_sign:forward=maxspeed
>> maxspeed=60
>

> tagging traffic signs on the road (unless they are road markings or maybe
> overhead signs), is strange as well, because you typically don't find
> signs on the road. In case of overhead signs they should get a higher
> layer and not be part of the highway.

I totally agree. I stumbled over some mistagged nodes (highway=maxspeed)
and started to remove them because I thought that they just copy the values
of the way, but then I understood that they are probably traffic_signs.
I read the wiki a few times and still did not fully understand how this
traffic_sign:forward idea should work.

dieterdreist wrote
>> The corresponding way would start at this node and have
>> tags
>> maxspeed=60
>> source:maxspeed=sign
>
> it would not have to start there (because of repeating signs)

good point, that's of course right.

Gerd