[Tagging] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in favor of relations

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Fri Nov 6 18:56:59 UTC 2015

_______________________________

> On 06/11/2015 10:24, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> Obviously in places where a road can have multiple equivalent
> references (such as the US) route relations perfect sense (as does
> figuring out which routes are actually signed on which bits of road)
> but in places where there's only one real ref per piece of tarmac (such
> as the UK) there's no need to force mappers to start maintaining
> relations as well as just recording the reference.

I also agrees with Paul. This proposal can be useful in some situations, but not all networks are such a mess. Here, in France, apart from E-roads,, there are virtually no road with several refs, and, AFAIK, that's the same for nearby countries. Besides, maintaining such a long relation can quickly become a nightmare, so I don't think it would really be useful in most situations, even if I understand it could be useful in some situations, like the USA networks you described.