[Tagging] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in favor of relations

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:36:34 UTC 2015

@Colin - I see it now in Wiktionary, but since it is not in the OSM Wiki
how would renderers show or use that information? I guess my point is that
the relation manager and tools are difficult to master and forcing their
use on the general mapping community would be a mistake. Even if
deprecating the ref tag was deemed okay by our little group, the general
user community will resist the change and rightly so IMO

Dave

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2015-11-06 14:26, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>
> I was looking at a what I surmise to be a ferry route earlier today and it
> had a tag of route=fairway. Did the mapper not realize what he was doing or
> are the diagnostic tools for determining errors in relations not that
> robust?
>

> Are you sure that route=fairway is wrong? It can have a nautical meaning:
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fairway
>
> //colin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska