[Tagging] Named junctions

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:23:31 UTC 2015

> This “necessity” to show signals is common among Japanese maps and
> properly localized maps. I want OSM to be just as good.

I can understand this desire, and given what was said in this respect, it
seems reasonable / indispensable for your region to show these particular
infos. BUT: there has to be a different tag to do it,
highway=traffic_signals is not the tag that is useful in this case, because
it is not a tag for a junction, but it is a tag for a node with a single
traffic lights instance (wiki: "Description: A traffic signal for
regulating circulation." and used only on nodes).

What you want / should have are entities which represent a junction, and
which has a "traffic_signals" attribute in case it is a junction that is
considered by the locals (and shown on common maps) as a junction with
signals. This would enable the style sheet maintainers to come up with a
dedicated solution adapted for Japanese navigation needs.

Cheers,
Martin