[Tagging] highway=residential_link

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Nov 10 12:20:08 UTC 2015

Tod Fitch wrote on 2015-11-10 06:57:
> If the two roads the connecting way links are tagged as residential I don’t see
 > any other choice than to use residential_link.

I'm skeptical about highway=residential_link as it further fragments the usage of the
highway key. I prefer to consider highway=service for the lowest category of car-drivable
roads, not just at the end of a route.

It could be further specified as service=residential_link if you want.

 > I don’t think that service works for that (and some routers only allow passage over
 > a service way at the ends of a route so that would mess them up).

Which routers are this, and what is the reason for such decision? If the service road
has a sufficient penalty, it would only be preferred over a longer road if it provides
a significant shortcut.

 > And tagging it
 > with a higher classification (e.g. tertiary_link) makes no sense to me either.

Certainly not of course. However I even consider those short connections of dual
carriageways, that allow the occasional u-turn, or accessing a property on
the other side, as service roads and not as abc_link.

> The only alternative would be to tag it as residential which seems to lose some
> meaning to me as the ones I can think of are too short to have residences on them.

highway=service + service=residential_link

tom