[Tagging] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in favor of relations

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Nov 11 18:46:40 UTC 2015

On 11/11/15 12:01 PM, Colin Smale wrote:

> I would assume that there are many, many more consumers than producers...

in terms of distinct applications, yes. in terms of network connections,
there is
a 1-to-1 relationship. the work is the same, it's a question of
placement at the
back end or the front end.

and while there is a bit of work involved, it's not huge (unless the
consumer is
asking for a lot of data). i wrote code for my ghost tracks leaflet
widget to convert
the results of an overpass query into displayable GeoJSON, so i'm at
least a little
familiar with the work we're discussing. it's not that hard a piece of
code to write.

so there are also two kinds of work here - the work to write the code,
which many
are able to do (and copies of it are around to crib from) and the actual
conversion
work during the operation of the app/consumer/whatever the scale of which is
directly related to the volume of data being processed.

and if we try to push that work back into the server, we run some risks
in terms
of overloading the servers, not because one instance is a lot of work
but because
a lot of simultaneous instances can be a lot of work.

like i say this is a serious architectural decision, not to be made lightly.

so is the objection writing the code, or the placement of the work? we
can provide
libraries for developers of data consumers, if the former is the issue.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search