[Tagging] improve tagging of traffic_calming

Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 16:07:36 UTC 2015

John Willis wrote
>> On Nov 22, 2015, at 12:16 AM, Gerd Petermann <

> gpetermann_muenchen@

> > wrote:
>>
>> highway=traffic_calming for the small way segments when we tell them
>> to use it for nodes. My understanding is that this is not wanted.
>
> I have a question about this.
>
> If I am mapping from the newest  ~5cm imagery in Tokyo, I can draw the
> exact boundaries of roadway, islands, fences, and hedges. I can mark
> crosswalks exactly where they start and end, where every limit line for a
> signal is, and the exact position of bollards, light poles and individual
> rocks In a pond.
>
> If a traffic calming device, like a table or chicane is is meters wide,
> and affects an easily mappable section of a road - why is adding it to a
> way segment bad? I would assume (without understanding the downside) that
> I would be doing a better job of mapping it than with just a node -
> especially if the road has two way traffic on a single way.
>
> I am a total noob on why a way would be bad - can someone explain it or
> point me to the proper wiki page for it?

You cited only the last part of my statement:
"I don't fear the way segmentation, I fear that mappers use
highway=traffic_calming for the small way segments when we tell them
to use it for nodes. My understanding is that this is not wanted. "

Some mappers see way segmentation as a problem, esp. when it comes to
waterways.
As I said, I have no problem with them. The important part is
that you don't cut e.g. a highway=secondary into small fragments with
alternating highway=traffic_calming,highway=secondary,
highway=traffic_calming,
highway=secondary, ...

Besides that the so-called micro mapping is not welcomed by some mappers
because
it is likely to produce lots of small objects which make editing more
difficult (you have
to zoom in to be able to select the wanted object) .

In case of Japan my opinion is that it would be better to invest the time
into the existing big alignment problems caused by imports and "bad" Bing
images.

Gerd