[Tagging] Relevance or otherwise of the wiki (was: improve tagging of traffic_calming)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 12:26:02 UTC 2015

On 20/11/2015 18:49, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> What am I getting wrong here? Did someone remove the
> preferred way of tagging from the wiki and nobody noticed
> it for years?

It doesn't surprise me that something documented with certainty in the
wiki simply doesn't describe what mappers actually do.  For example, I
noticed the https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare page only
very recently** - someone who expects the wiki to document how other
mappers tag things might think from reading that that they should use
e.g. "healthcare=dentist" instead of "amenity=dentist", which not borne
out by actual usage figures (there are 30k amenity=dentist and <900
healthcare=dentist).

We (all mappers, not just new ones) simply can't rely on the wiki for
"how to map X" until this sort of "creative wiki editing" is more under
control*.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)

* actually it's worse than this - see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1981#issuecomment-158634575
for the full problem.

** and I'm actually subscribed to this list and see the discussions
going on here related to potential tagging changes and suggestions. What
chance someone not subscribed to this daily catalogue of delights? :)