[Tagging] highway=crossing not rendered on Mapnik (& others)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Nov 22 22:17:17 UTC 2015

Hi

Before listing this as a request on the openstreetmap-carto I thought
I'd check/discuss here first.

 From the wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing & the
default selection of the 3 main editors, the tags for a pedestrian road
crossing that's separate from other traffic control lights are:
highway=crossing
crossing=*.

This combination doesn't render in Mapnik. It's led many people to
(possibly inadvertently) tagging for the renderer:
highway=traffic_signals
crossing=*

Is there a reason why it's not in mapnik? It's doesn't cover up other
entities as can be seen as used in the latter tag configuration.

Also, on the wiki under traffic_signals 'crossing=traffic_signals' it
says "Mostly near highway=traffic_signals." Unsure what's meant by that.
If the pedestrian crossing is separate they are almost certainly not
near traffic signals. I think it should be clarified or removed.

Cheers
Dave F.

---