[Tagging] Sidewalk Tagging for Routing

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Nov 24 09:40:08 UTC 2015

John Willis wrote:
> Perhaps we can have a routing engine at will interpret
> a sidewalk with residential road junctions as being
> along a residential road and route for Jay Walking.
> [...]
> I would rather the router always error on the side of
> crosswalks

Jaywalking is a North American concept. Here in the UK you can walk wherever
you like, whether the road is residential, an A (primary/trunk) or B
(secondary) road or whatever - anywhere apart from a motorway or somewhere
else with an explicit prohibition. Please don't suggest that routers should
export this people-hostile custom to other countries!

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551873/jaywalking-history

Another issue with routing along pavements ("sidewalks") as separate ways is
the name tag. IME pavement-mappers rarely add the street name to the
pavement/sidewalk, but in fact the name applies to the pavement/sidewalk as
much as to the bicycle/car lanes. "Walk along unnamed footway then turn left
onto unnamed footway" is a less helpful direction than "Walk along Broad
Street then turn left onto Cornmarket Street". (The ref, on the other hand,
usually applies only to the bicycle/car lanes.)

Richard