[Tagging] Wikipedia

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:40:13 UTC 2015

> I want to use a tag written in English that describes a certain tree
> Is this correct?
>
> 1) wikipedia=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teak
>
> or this?
>
> 2) wikipedia:en=wikipedia.org/wiki/teak

the common syntax for the generic case is:

wikipedia=en:Teak (article title, i.e. "long article title name", NOT
"long_article_title_name").

for special (rare) cases you can also add "wikipedia:en=particular article
title" (cases, where just the englisch Version is correct, or is an
additional version, complementing the generic tagging "wikipedia=en:another
article name" (which is translated or could be translated into other
languages as well).

You do not have to add links to articles in different languages that are
already linked within wikipedia, and you should better link missing
translations in wikipedia rather than adding additional links to these
articles in OSM.

The above examples you gave are both "wrong", an alternative would be:
wikipedia=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teak
but the short version is preferred.

Cheers,
Martin