[Tagging] Wikipedia

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:12:42 UTC 2015

Here are the tags I include in my JOSM preset for a species of tree I want
to include in OSM.

                    <key key="natural" value="tree" />
                    <key key="leaf_type" value="broadleaved" />
                    <key key="leaf_cycle" value="evergreen" />
                    <key key="species" value="Dipterocarpus alatus" />
                    <key key="species:en" value="Yang na" />
                    <key key="species:th" value="ยางนา" />
                    <key key="wikidata" value="Q140957"
                    <key key="wikipedia"  value="en:Dipterocarpus_alatus" />
                    <text key="height" text="Height (m)" default=""
delete_if_empty="true"  />
                    <text key="height_trunk" text="Bole Height (m)"
default="" delete_if_empty="true"  />
                    <text key="circumference" text="Trunk Circ. (m)"
default="" delete_if_empty="true"  />
                    <text key="diameter_crown" text="Crown Diam. (m)"
default="" delete_if_empty="true"  />
                    <text key="ref" text="Ref #" default=""
delete_if_empty="true"  />

My understanding is that the species tag is preferred to hold the Latin or
scientific name. The species:en and species:th variants hold the "common
name" in English and Thai but I'm sure there is disagreement and variations
here as well.

Comments?

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:23:13 +0100
> Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > In that case that there is no article about this particular tree
> > > using wikipedia tag is incorrect. Use wikipedia:species or similar
> > > key.
> > >

> > I suggest doing it the other way round (not the species of wikipedia,
> > but the wikipedia article for the species), i.e.
> > species:wikipedia
> >
> > it is already done like this btw (in insignificant numbers so far):
> > http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/species%3Awikidata
>
> Yes, you are right (like it is done with brand:wikipedia,
> subject:wikipedia etc).

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand