[Tagging] Forest parcels and national/municipal forest: how to map?

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Fri Nov 27 18:46:24 UTC 2015

> From: gdt at ir.bbn.com
> To: penegal at live.fr
> CC: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Forest parcels and national/municipal forest: how to map?
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 09:05:01 -0500
>

> David Marchal  writes:
>
>> 1) forest parcels: some people use a boundary relation with
>> boundary=forest_compartment, but this seems mainly used in Eastern
>> Europe, so geographically limited; others map each parcel with
>
> (We don't do this in the US, as far as I know; sounds like allotments
> for forestry?)
>
> I am guessing there is some biggish region used for forestry, and then
> within it there are specific areas leased/etc. to individuals/companies?
> I would tag landuse=forest around the whole thing.
>
> Then, representing ownership/etc. within is really just like parcels for
> houses, which so far OSM has declined to put in the db.
In fact, the parcels I'm talking about have their number displayed on their corners, so I thought it could be useful to record them in order to ease orientation in forests. I'm not thinking about private, restricted access parts of forests, nor about their ownership, only the publicly-displayed number; I don't think every parcels are labelled as such, though. Besides, I saw that some contributors already started to do so, like here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/&map=14/48.6747/6.0705 but I asked this question to see if there was a recommended way to do so.

The problem is that uch forests can be fragmented, composed of several disconnected pieces of land, but still named and designated as a whole, like this one: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4775589 so, again, I searched for a recommended way to do so, but I only found this unofficial tagging, mostly consistent for me, but I prefered asking for opinions on this question before using this tagging scheme.

> We do have boundary=protected_area, but I think that's a mistake, and
> we should instead tag the properties on the closed way to denote the
> state of the inside. But the notion of a boundary vs a property of the
> inside of a polygon is semantically messy to start with.
No, I wouldn't use such tagging for this usage, it would be too far of the intended use to do anything more than messing with the data.