[Tagging] bicycle=use_sidepath applicable to bicycle lanes?

Hubert sg.forum at gmx.de
Sat Nov 28 17:30:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:31:59 +0000
Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> One question, if cyclelane use is compulory, are you allowed to not
> use it if you are overtaking slower cyclists?

It depends on the type of cycle lane in Germany.
If it's a "strict" (not a legal name) cycle lane (Radfahrstreifen, solid line with bicycle marking and blue traffic sign, [1]) it's not allowed to leave the cycle way when passing another cyclist.
If it's a "soft" (again, not a legal name) cycle lane (Schutzstreifen), dashed line with bicycle marking and no traffic sign, [2]) then it's OK. The compulsoriness to use such a cycle lane is due to the "Rechtsfahrgebot", meaning an obligation to drive as far right as possible (, if possible). (I hope I got that right.)

Hubert

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Z237Radfahrstreifen.jpeg
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Schutzstreifen_Schlachthof_Karlsruhe.jpg