[Tagging] intermittent vs seasonal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:03:15 UTC 2015

On 1/10/2015 5:51 PM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> According to what I found "intermittent" is not excluding regular
> changes - see for example "Intermittent streams flow seasonally in
> response to snowmelt and/or elevated groundwater tables resulting from
> increased periods of precipitation and/or decreased
> evapotranspiration." from "Temporary streams" by Margaret Palmer,

Meaning the streams ONLY flow sometimes and ONLY when there is snow melt /rain fall ..

So the two things combine to say ..

if there is snow melt or rainfall

then there MIGHT be water in the stream.

To me that is not seasonal.. unless you can say that the rain and snow only falls in given parts of the year and at no other time?

Given the weather does not conform that well to the 'season's .. I'd be more inclined to leave off the seasonal tag.

> There is nothing wrong with adding both intermittent=yes and
> seasonal=yes.

intermittent= irregular = not regular.

seasonal= regular.

To say that something is both 'not regular' and 'regular' is a conflict. And should be resolved,

For me I would simply tag something that is irregular intermittent=yes, and leave out the seasonal.

If it 'typically' flows seasonally then don't use intermittent, use seasonal=yes(winter,summer etc)!

Using your above snow melt example .. does snow not fall out of season occasionally? And then the stream would flow out of season too.

>   Also, there is no good reason to break data consumers by
> removing popular and correct intermittent=yes and adding a new tag
> (seasonal=yes).

seasonal is an existing tag. And should be used to mark things that are regular on a yearly scale.

The intermittent tag should NOT be used for things that are seasonal.

We should tag the truth. That is what the consumers expect.