[Tagging] waterway=penstock to complete pipeline tagging

Fran├žois Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:43:47 UTC 2015

Christoph, Martin,

I see things as follow : when a river is diverted to feed a
hydroelectric power plant, the main of the flow goes through tunnels,
shafts, valves and penstocks. Only a few of original water is still
flowing the natural path for economical reasons.
As for obtaining a global and routable water network, penstocks should
be considered as pipelines when applicable on one hand, and as a major
waterway on the other.
Nor pipeline or waterway are primary or secondary keys, but standard
keys giving their amount of details.

Users looking for ways water is flowing will obtain data by looking at
the waterway key and people looking for big visible pipelines will
look at the pipeline key.

Here is a visible example (and I don't give it to tag for render, I
tag for data first) :
ITO world is rendering waterways and pipelines (including penstocks)
don't appear on it, I don't think it's so representative.
http://www.itoworld.com/map/3

That was my original point
Pipeline vs drain is secondary and not so important if and only if
waterway connects all the parts of water cycle.
I agree with Martin to say when there are no pipes, there is no pipeline.

Have fun, drink water :p

Fran├žois