[Tagging] intermittent vs seasonal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 22:38:03 UTC 2015

On 6/10/2015 9:48 PM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 08:37:54 +1100
> Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/2015 5:29 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>>> I will respond to other parts later.

>>> I never claimed this. AFAIK nobody claimed that. What is the point
>>> of repeating it?
>>>
>> Because you latter say
>>
>> On 3/10/2015 6:51 PM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>>> Can you provide sources that in hydrology "intermittent waterway"
>>> does not apply to regular appearance/disappearance of water?
> According to my understanding seasonal waterway implies that it
> is non-permanent waterway, and currently in OSM "intermittent
> waterway" is treated as synonym of "non-pernament waterway".
>
> I claimed that seasonal implies intermittent.
>
> I never claimed that intermittent means seasonal (intermittent
> certainly does not imply seasonal).

For me;

Seasonal means it is in a set yearly pattern, regularly, repeating on a yearly cycle.

Intermittent means it is irregularly, random without a pattern. Not cyclic.

Note that the words and descriptions above apply to anything.. rivers, lakes leaves falling off trees, animal migration.

Some statistics I managed to find

For the Cooper River Australia..

Mean annual flow 3.35 km3 (for non metric people k= kilo m3 = cubic metres)

Standard deviation 3.45 km3   !!!! The standard deviation is larger that the mean! Looks wrong to me.. but the source goes on to repeat that for others.

Source http://www.k26.com/eyre/The_Lake/Data/Tributaries/The_Cooper_Creek/the_cooper.html

The reason why the Cooper is regarded as intermittent .. is because in some years it does not flow at all .. in others .. it floods .. lots.
And no one has any way of predicting the flows.

Official records .. http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/brochures/cooper/cooper.shtml