[Tagging] new access value

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 10:12:18 UTC 2015

> I have suspended Friedrich Volkmann from this list for one month for
> incivility.

can you please explain, where? Is it because he didn't "retract" the "get a
life"? Or because he was complaining that he got rebuked and Florian
wasn't?

> Please be tolerant and considerate in your postings, and avoid insults.

yes, (it looked to me as if he didn't completely understand how strong the
words were, he had used. I'm not understanding it myself either ;-) There's
something written here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_life_%28idiom%29
which suggests to me it isn't very strong (e.g. used for workoholics)

> If you do not understand a particular idiom, please don't use it.

yes, naturally, but the problem is you might think you understood an idiom,
but you got it wrong, or you get the meaning right but don't understand how
strong/weak it is (that's typically the main problem with people speaking
another language).

I believe banning someone from the lists, especially if s/he is at the time
engaged in a discussion, is a very hard reaction that should be reserved to
very few cases, in particular those that don't react positively to a first
or second admonishment.

Cheers,
Martin