[Tagging] How one may tag object as castle?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Oct 14 01:42:36 UTC 2015

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 6:57 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Past practice might be to tag the outer wall as a barrier if one exists. And then tag the building as a building.
>
> And that might be the 'best' solution - no separate tag for 'castle'.
> This can lead to tagging the outer wall with disused, raised etc while the inner building may still be in use.

if we are going to separate the castle building (the keep/major buildings) from the wall - wouldn’t we want to use landuse=castle to define the entire grounds? It certainly all “belongs” to the castle.

The Japanese castles do have defensive walls / moats - but most are gone. Many of the smaller castles I have seen her do not have such a separation between the wall and the building - the building sits on top of the “wall”.  So we might need to use landuse to define the castle perimeter.  And defining that perimeter can be really difficult where modern structures or roads have intruded on old castle grounds

https://goo.gl/maps/QdZpqzpd6bG2 <https://goo.gl/maps/QdZpqzpd6bG2> Matsumoto castle - a very small castle in Rural Japan.

the castle building itself is really easy. The additional defensive walls? Okay. The Moat? Okay too.  What about the gates into the area? the newer buildings built on the castle grounds? the ruins of the old manor house on the northwest side?  The grounds now are mostly a park, with a museum - but it is all on grounds clearly belonging to “the castle”.

https://goo.gl/maps/KLhNCjdyVK62 <https://goo.gl/maps/KLhNCjdyVK62> Himeji castle - a really big castle. Surrounded by inner, secondary, and outer walls and a moat, with courtyards and a defensive ground inside the outer wall.

The "castle grounds" entrance is the moat bridge, while the “castle” entrance is at the inner wall, gaining access to the courtyard between the major buildings.

Castle grounds and the castle building might be very differently sized. defining the wall and castle building separately may not accurately show the size of the "castle".

We might want to have a barrier=castle_wall or a subkey of wall for that. maybe even a relation of larger castles (if I understand what a relation is).

Tags suggested / questioned:

landuse=castle
wall=castle_wall
relation for castle (roles: keep, castle, building, inner wall, secondary wall, outer wall, moat, courtyard, grounds, etc).

“Himeji Castle” starts at the moat/outer wall - and everything inside the wall “belongs” to the castle, though it is not a castle structure itself, similar to a university or a school with multiple buildings and facilities beyond the actual classroom buildings. http://umit2011.pro.tok2.com/siromap1large.jpg <http://umit2011.pro.tok2.com/siromap1large.jpg>

Javbw