[Tagging] power=* tag: minor_line vs. line

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Wed Oct 14 07:19:29 UTC 2015

Well, I would say: mainly on poles = minor_line, and mainly on towers = line; this way, the difference is easy to see for mappers, even on Bing imagery, and, as poles, AFAIK, are always smaller that towers, that would properly model the landscape impact these power lines have. Besides, I know we're not supposed to map for the renderer, but the OSM Mapnik stylesheet seems adapted for such modelling, as minor_line are rendered only on higher zooms, i.e. starting from z16, which seems to me a correct rendering for lines on poles, far less visible than lines on towers. I mean, the stylesheet guys made a logical choice, why not adopting the same?