[Tagging] how to tag a "highway" that doesn't exist?

Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:35:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

forgive me if this was discussed before:
There seems to be a need to map highways which do not exist.
I understand the idea that we map highway=proposed / highway=planned
as this might be used to visualize a plan, I can also understand that we
have tags like highway=dismantled and highway=razed (which seem to mean the same)
but why do we have ways with
highway=x-residential , highway=unbuilt ,  highway=neverbuilt, and several
more with similar meaning ?
They all seem to describe ways which where once added as normal highway=*
to the database and later someone found out that there is no highway,
but did not dare to remove the way.

Is that meant to document something important?

Gerd