[Tagging] Shop values review

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Oct 18 09:21:31 UTC 2015

Javbw

> On Oct 18, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 18.10.2015 um 02:28 schrieb John Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>:
>>
>> I find shop=trade too generic to be useful, as there are many different trades besides the building-construction trades.
>

> +1,

+1

It seems to follow the old "tradesmen vs college" division - but a lot pf white collar geek jobs (like web and graphic design) are often more like modern trade jobs now - a person can slap their name on a business card and rent a small room and start making "things."

Craft is a bit better, as it is still pretty narrow scope - but trade vs shop vs office seems a little weird.

Maybe it is a distinctiin that is stronger in some regions than others - farm / industrial / commercial / retail / is a great distinction for landuse names - the business types should follow a similar divide. Trying to split commercial up into trade/office and retail into craft/shop leads to some weird distinctions.

A lot of craft people have shops in the workshop for their work - and some trades are in offices. Better just to leave it all in retail, just like we don't try to break out ball sports or paddle sports or  sliding sports in sport=* (soccer, tennis, skiing).

If the distinction offered something distinctive for the data or the mapping, that would be great, but it doesn't seem to offer that, so the distinction is just more busywork and tag confusion.