[Tagging] Shop values review

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 18 16:35:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 04:39:37PM +0100, Philip Barnes wrote:
> Trade is more an access tag, you can have a shop=motor_spares for
> example. Some are open to the public, others are exclusively to sell to
> other businesses and will refuse access to normal people. The same is
> true for some shop=diy, others such as B&Q whilst open to all do have a
> separate trade entrance where no doubt different prices are charged.

Well, we did not imply that strict interpretation when inventing the
trade tag. We explicitly stated that most of such places also accepted
ordinary retail customers. While I agree that a small minority of such
places (in the UK at least) do enforce such a strict policy, it is rare.
If we had intended such, indeed we would have proposed something like
access=trade. That is not what we did. So no, that is not what trade
means here.

> As for tagging, I would propose shop=*, access=trade/public although
> the default of public would be assumed if no tag.

Yes, you can have that as well, although using the same trade keyword is
surely a potential source of confusion.

ael