[Tagging] post_box:type values, meter in particular

Holger Mappt holgerosm at gmx.net
Sun Oct 18 17:07:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-16 at 03:16 +0200 Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 2015-10-15 20:54, Holger Mappt wrote:
>>
>> The post_box:type Wiki page [1] was created two months ago and the key
>> was added to the JOSM preset recently [2]. That means that the values
>> show up in Launchpad for translation. The "meter" type in particular is
>> hard to translate as it is not clear for non-UK citizens like me what
>> that type refers to. The Wiki page states that post_box:type is about
>> the physical style (size/shape) of the post box, but "meter" refers to
>> the type of mail the post box is intended for. What would be the value
>> if there is a pillar box for meter mail in some country? Any ideas how
>> this can be improved? There is no word for "meter" in my language and
>> the translation would be either incomprehensible or too long.
>>
>> Holger
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:post_box:type
>> [2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11933
>
> In the UK, meter mail postboxes are usually a different physical
> size/shape. ie they are rectangular, and usually bigger than a standard
> postbox. And a larger aperture for posting mail, which may be locked at
> times.
> So I think they would be considered as different to pillar boxes. I'm
> not sure if they have an official/common name or not. Sometimes known as
> a "business mail post box".
>
> So for a postbox that only accepts meter mail, you could tag it as
> mail:stamped=no, mail:meter=yes. So that could be used along with the
> tag for post_box:type

My question was related to post_box:type, which describes the physical
style (size/shape) of the post box. For me "meter" looks like a regional
term. I don't think it is a good idea to use regional terms because then
we get many such regional terms that all refer to the same physical
style. After doing research for two hours or so I now know what "meter"
means. But I don't see how that information can be put into a preset
translation such that mappers in foreign countries will know it too. A
compromise could be to change the preset "meter" value display text to
something like "meter (UK)". The current German translation is "meter
(USA)". Or would it be better to keep "meter" as an abstract type and
add more description to the wiki page?

Holger