[Tagging] how to tag a "highway" that doesn't exist?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:27:41 UTC 2015

On 22/10/2015 06:29, GerdP wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've contacted a few mappers and it seems that there is a need
> to keep some of the ways for the reason described by Mateusz below.

I'd agree with that.  I can think of more than a few examples of "the
road/path used to go here, but now it doesn't", and even if the imagery
gets updated, underlying GPS traces won't.

> Now, as so many before, I try to find a good tag to express this.
> Using a line with only a note tag is no good idea as QA tools
> will not like them.

I'd suggest that if a QA tool objects to that, it's a problem with that
QA tool. :)

> IMHO the only already used tag which looks acceptable
> for this is
> highway=none
> in combination with a note saying why the way is no highway
> maybe combined with an explicit tag
> mapping_error=yes
>
> Does that make sense?

Using a highway tag when there isn't a highway is going to cause
problems for someone, somewhere down the line - anyone who doesn't look
at the values and just processes "highway=*", for example (not that
that's a good idea - but someone's going to do it).

Some sort of lifecycle tag might work in some cases (though it'd be
interesting to see the justification for the "planned but never built,
and now never will be built" ones), but even after that there'll always
be a small number of odd values - possibly the least worst solution in a
particular case.

Cheers,

Andy