[Tagging] how to tag a "highway" that doesn't exist?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 13:53:10 UTC 2015

On 23/10/2015 14:34, GerdP wrote:
> Andy Townsend wrote
>>> Now, as so many before, I try to find a good tag to express this.
>>> Using a line with only a note tag is no good idea as QA tools
>>> will not like them.
>> I'd suggest that if a QA tool objects to that, it's a problem with that
>> QA tool. :)
> Well, yes and no. When I start to change all these ways with strange highway
> tags to ones with only a note and they pop up in tools like JOSMs validator
> it is
> likely that the next mapper will invent a new tag or revert my change.

JOSM displays an "untagged ways commented" warning on e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/376520283 .  What should happen then is
that the mapper reads the warning, understands it, and clicks ignore.
If they just blithely change all data to suppress QA warnings without
engaging their brain then in my opinion they shouldn't be mapping.

It could be argued that perhaps JOSM shouldn't display this as a warning
in the first place (though I can see both sides of that argument).
However, whenever I've raised issues in the past about "what should be a
validation warning" with JOSM's developers I've always found them very
responsive.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)