[Tagging] tunnel=culvert

GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 25 06:44:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,

up to now I've used tunnel=culvert
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel=culvert
like this:
1) JOSM warns that a waterway and highway are crossing
2) I split the waterway into 3 parts and add
tunnel=yes, layer=-1 to the short one in the middle (or
split the road and add bridge=yes,layer=1)

Now I noticed that the wiki also "allows" to use tunnel=culvert
on a node, but this is rarely used
(taginfo shows 945 tags on nodes and > 305.000 on ways)
I wonder why. The usage of a node seems to be clearer for me,
at least in those cases where the tunnel is almost as broad as the
road. In my eyes it is the same case as with a
railway=level_crossing. We map it as a node (and only as a node).
Did I miss something?

Gerd
PS: JOSM complains with a warning when I use tunnel=culvert on a node:
"tunnel on suspicious object "