[Tagging] RFC - sidepath tagging scheme

Hubert sg.forum at gmx.de
Tue Oct 27 13:12:50 UTC 2015

Hallo,

I have been working on some ideas
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sidepath_tagging_sche
me
) to resolve tagging conflicts between sidepaths (cycleways, footways).
Explicitly the question, whether such ways should be drawn separately or
just be subtags of the central highway-osm-way.
Right now, the default in my proposal is that sideways which are separated
by a curb only are tagged as subtags to the central way, while sideways
separated by scrubs, grass, ditches, etc. are drawn as separate osm-ways.
>From my experience, this seems to fit the mapping for the majority of
mappers. However both extremes (only subtag, always separated) are possible.

I would especially  like to ask you for comments on the following topics:
*	Is https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element
a problem for my suggestion?
*	Use of footway=sidewalk as an exception from *=sidepath.
*	Use of footway:right/left/both=sidewalk on highway=road instead of
sidewalk=right/left/both.

I'm looking forward to your responses

Hubert87