[Tagging] RFC - sidepath tagging scheme

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:23:05 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:12:50 +0100
"Hubert" <sg.forum at gmx.de> wrote:

I strongly oppose changing "separate ways or tag on main road
may be preferred in different places, depending on local consensus" to
"tagging on main road is always preferable in some situation".

Inventing new tags to describe combined and segregated footway and
cycleway (both with its own surface) is complicated even in case of
using separate way for this structure.

Tagging it on main road, just because on certain distance there is no
strip of grass separating it from main road would make necessary to
use ridiculous tags. Even in case of long stretches of road, footway
and cycleway separated only by curbs tagging it as one element is apoor
idea.

In extreme case - there is one place in my city with cycleway between
two footways. Cycleway, footways and road are all separated by curbs.
Good luck with tagging it as tags on the main road
(cycleway:right:central:surface=asphalt?).

======

BTW, in my area there is a recent trend to tag footways and cycleway as
separate ways - even in cases of footways and cycleway separated solely
by a painted line on surface.