[Tagging] More human readable values for traffic signs

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Tue Oct 27 22:05:22 UTC 2015

Hi Mateusz,

Am Mon, 26 Oct 2015 08:58:08 +0100 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:
> I recently started tagging traffic signs and I am surprised by wide
> usage country-specific traffic sign codes.
>
> I think that at least common signs may be tagged by human-readable
> values. Some (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_sign#Human-
readable_values
> ) are already used
>
> I propose to add more like
> - traffic_sign=oneway
> - traffic_sign=no_stopping
> - traffic_sign=no_parking

At least the oneway sign looks different from country to country. Or do
you expect that a French oneway sign looks like the German one? (The
German one contains the word "Einbahnstra├če", the German translation of
oneway) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_220-20.svg

And even traffic signs without text often look different because
different countries use different fonts.

That's why I suggest to use the country prefixes followed by a number or
the name depending if the country numbers its traffic signs (like
Germany) or not (like Austria).

Best regards

Michael