[Tagging] How to tag a weigh station / bridge ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 21:59:37 UTC 2015

On 30/10/2015 1:41 AM, Colin Smale wrote:

> What's wrong with amenity? A weighbridge IS often an amenity, in the
> sense that people can make use of it as they require to help them stay
> within the law, for example. The man_made tag is a complete last
> resort - just about everything we map is man-made. Lets try and get a
> bit closer to tagging based on function and role.
>
> --colin

EVERYTHING IS AN AMENITY to someone.

Highways are amenities. Lets move them over to the amenity tag.
Buildings are amenities. Lets move them over to the amenity tag.
Shops are amenities. Lets move them over to the amenity tag.
Offices are amenities. Lets move them over to the amenity tag.
and so on.

I view all the tags as a subset of the amenity tag!

"The amenity tag is a complete last resort as everything is an amenity
to someone.
Let us get a bit closer to function and role.
And not lump everything into one tag. " ;-)

-----------------------------------
Vehicle weight can be an enforcement function/role (maximum weight on
the road/railway track), but not always.
Vehicle weight can be a commercial function/role (fees, purchase), but
not always.

As such the function/role has to encompass at least 2 functions/roles.

Colin .. if you want tagging based on function/role ... there will have
to be suitable tags for the role/function.
Highways, buildings, shops, offices are all good function/role tags.
I agree that man_made is poor. But so is amenity!
I take OSM amenity tag to be for the general community. Where the thing
is not general but specific or fits in another key tag then it should
not go into amenity.

So is there a better new tag? Weighbridge for the value, but what new
key name?